[TxMt] SVN?

Rob McBroom textmate at skurfer.com
Thu Mar 29 19:32:18 UTC 2007

On Mar 29, 2007, at 10:19 AM, Ethan H. Darling wrote:

> So, my question is...  "What is SVN, can I really use it to manage
> a production website, and what is the best place, resource, book to
> get information on how to install, configure, and use it?"

I deal with several web sites and I use subversion to manage them.
It's great at what it does, but…

In my opinion, it's completely the wrong tool for the "transfer these
updated files to the web server" part of the process, which I think
is what you're after. I still edit all web site files remotely using
Cyberduck (same clunky workflow as Transmit), Samba, DAV, SSHFS, etc.

The problem, if you care, is this: If you have a copy of the files on
your local machine and you want to make some updates then push them
to a remote machine using Subversion, you have to "commit" your
changes*. Most of the changes you make are small and stupid and not
worth committing. I also prefer not to commit changes until after
I've tested and know that I didn't break anything. Why keep track of
mistakes, right? But of course, when dealing with web stuff, the
changed files need to be on the server in many cases in order to be
tested, which if you're using subversion to "transfer" them, brings
us back to committing files prematurely.

Many people on this list continue to suggest Subversion as an answer
in a situation like yours, so maybe I'm missing something. If so, I'd
love to hear what it is.

* Also note that this just puts the changes into the repository. It
doesn't actually transfer updated files "as is" to the remote
machine. The repository itself is a sort of database and useless to a
web server, so you would need to have a working copy on the web
server also, and have subversion update that copy after each commit
in order to view the files there.

---
Rob McBroom
<http://www.skurfer.com/>
I didn't "switch" to Apple... my OS did.