[TxMt] SVN?

James Edward Gray II james at grayproductions.net
Thu Mar 29 14:32:35 UTC 2007

On Mar 29, 2007, at 9:19 AM, Ethan H. Darling wrote:

> I'm new to Textmate (and just about everything else), and I just
> finished reading the Textmate book (some sections got a thorough
> once-twice-thrice-over).  Very good book, now I'm hooked on Textmate.

Glad you enjoyed it.

> So, my question is...  "What is SVN,

Subversion is a version control system.  That's a tool for recording
your work that includes nice features like undo.

> can I really use it to manage a production website,

You can certainly use this to manage a website and I would even go so
far as to say that you should be managing any project of significant
size with version control.  The data loss protection alone justifies it.

Another option might be to build a TextMate command that shells out
to rsync.  I would favor Subversion though.

> and what is the best place, resource, book to get information on
> how to install, configure, and use it?"

Well, the Pragmatics also have a Subversion book:

http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/svn2/index.html

I didn't write that one, but I've read it and think it's very good.

> Sounds dumb right.

Not at all.

Welcome to TextMate.

James Edward Gray II