[TxMt] error in Rails:install plugin command - resolved

Norman Cohen nacohen at mac.com
Wed Mar 28 18:05:38 UTC 2007

Hi,

Some information for those who are interested in using the textmate
footnotes plugin described in the PragProgrammer Textmate book, who
have updated ruby recently, and who might be having some problems.

I recently updated to Rails 1.2.3 and Ruby 1.8.6 on my intel MacBook
Pro. I tried installing the Footnotes plugin for Rails/textmate using
the Rails bundle install plugin command and got the following error
that started as so:

/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/i686-darwin8.7.1/rbconfig.rb:7: ruby lib
version (1.8.5) doesn't match executable version (1.8.6) (RuntimeError)

After googling extensively, I found the following explanation and fix
on the wincent.com site:

<http://wincent.com/knowledge-base/
Building_and_installing_Ruby_1.8.6_on_Mac_OS_X_Tiger>

It appears that I had previously set the RUBYLIB shell variable in my
~/.bash_profile file to point to:

RUBYLIB="/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8:/usr/local/lib/ruby/
site_ruby/1.8/i686-darwin8.7.1:/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8:/usr/local/lib
/ruby/1.8/i686-darwin8.7.1"
export RUBYLIB

I think I had followed some online recipe a few versions ago to
install Ruby and Rails on my computer.

So this entry created a mismatch between the correct lib directory
for ruby 1.8.6 and the current version of ruby.

Removing this line from the .bash_profile fixed the plugin error for me.

Hope this helps someone else avoid some frustrations.

Norm