[TxMt] TextMate book reviewed on Slashdot

Mike Mellor alaskamike at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 21:05:26 UTC 2007

On Mar 26, 2007, at 3:05 PM, Alan Schussman wrote:

> The problem is, it's an awful review. Not awful in the sense that it's
> unfavorable to TextMate or the book (the author seems like both), but
> just plain bad:

I'll second that!  First, the review jumps back and forth from
reviewing James' book to reviewing TextMate.  Second, he approaches
TextMate from a very limited point of view - to paraphrase a couple
of parts:

"I'm learning how to do Ruby on Rails, so TextMate is a Ruby on Rails
IDE."  That's news to me.  I thought it was a text editor that
supported a (virtually) unlimited list of languages.

"It's basically an Emacs clone."  I have stated (somewhere) in the
past that TextMate is Emacs for OS X.  By that, I mean that it is the
ultimate in configurable editors - if TextMate doesn't do what you
want it to do, you can create a bundle that does what you want.
However, it is not an Emacs clone, as far as I can tell - and the
look and feel is definitely not "Emacs-like."  From my limited
exposure, Emacs has a much steeper learning curve and has a lot of
functionality that (I hope) TextMate will never have.

Lastly, I couldn't tell if the guy liked the book or not.  It seemed
as if his strongest praise was for its size.

Bottom line - I love TextMate, and James' book is allowing me to do
even more with it!

Mike