[TxMt] Tabbing out of brackets

Robin Houston robin.houston at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 14:50:31 UTC 2007

I'm working on a Latex document that uses a lot of complex sub- and
superscripts,
so I wrote a little snippet

  _{$1}

which is activated by the underscore key (and the corresponding thing for ^,
of course).

I use this a *lot*, and it has saved my brain a lot of confusion, and my
right little finger
a lot of wear and tear. But it also has a benefit that I wasn't expecting:
when I've finished
typing the subscript, I can just press tab to escape from the braces, and
continue with
the rest of the expression.

I find that invaluable, and I've started to get frustrated that the same
thing doesn't work
with ordinary auto-completed braces, parentheses, etc. Of course I could
write a snippet

  {${1:$TM_SELECTED_TEXT}}

and bind it to the { key, but then you don't get the nice feature that
deleting the opening
brace will delete the closer as well. It would be nice to have the best of
both worlds. How
about making it possible to tab out of *all* auto-paired thingies, in the
way that you can
from a snippet?

Robin