Dialog/window types needed (Re: [TxMt] Category Command w/ Nib)

Chris Thomas chris at cjack.com
Sun Mar 18 00:54:44 UTC 2007

On Mar 16, 2007, at 11:59 PM, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> On 15. Mar 2007, at 21:29, Brett Terpstra wrote:
>
>> I don't think there's a default multi-select nib for tm_dialog yet,
>> is there?
>
> There is not, no -- at some point we should figure out what dialog
> types we need and then do some generic nibs for these :)

I've already started writing that list. :) The following nibs might be
good first steps for someone who wants to get their feet wet with
tm_dialog and/or contributing generally to TextMate:

• generic list/single-column text table dialog (the aforementioned
"default multi-select nib")
• generic get-string dialog
• alert with scrollable text view

These are needed, in the sense that they're being used by existing
bundles, but provided in somewhat suboptimal form by AppleScript and
CocoaDialog. (It would be nice if some Objective-C could be written so
that the alert could autoresize to the size of the text, but
CocoaDialog's doesn't, AFAIK.)

Other things that would be highly useful but require new Objective-C
code:

• Tooltips should be accessible from tm_dialog (or, better, an
autoresizing HUD window).
• To allow CocoaDialog to be removed, tm_dialog should provide file
open/save dialogs.
• HTML to RTF transformer -- WebKit has no bindings. One could instead
use this to display some basic HTML (while waiting for Leopard).
• Markdown to RTF transformer.

Chris