[TxMt] ActionScript Bundle (MTASC)

Ale Muñoz bomberstudios at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 20:13:31 UTC 2007

On 3/13/07, Aaron Clinger <aaron at aaronclinger.com> wrote:
> Not sure who to address this to, but I have a few suggestions about
> how the MTASC compile works in the ActionScript bundle. The new MTASC
> addition is really great, way better than the one I built for myself,
> but I do have a few suggestions to make.

Hi there,

I'm the current maintainer of the ActionScript bundle. Suggestions are
really welcome :)

> - The option to not use XTrace, a lot of Mac Flash developers use
> Console and the debug Flash player for this. Right now it seems if no
> trace is defined it uses XTrace; so there is no way to fall back on
> the Flash default. Also removing the XTrace class paths if not using
> them.

The current system for setting up tracers is quite crappy. Thus, it is
being re-written from scratch. I plan on adding support for the most
common tracers, and also make it easy to add your custom tracer.

In the meantime, you can use a (simple) custom tracer by editing the
mtasc.yaml file and adding this line:

trace: com.namespace.for.your.trace.function

> - The option to easily add additional MTASC arguments in the yaml; for
> example '- strict'.

This is a common suggestion. I'll try to add it right now (as in "I
have the script open in another TextMate window as I write this"
timeframe :)

> - The option to NOT include the 'std' and the 'std8' classes.

Could you please elaborate on this?

> - '- keep' should not be called by default if a SWF is present. This
> could cause some classes to be present two times if also compiled with
> MTASC. I would suggest allowing the user to add this command in the
> additional MTASC arguments variable I mentioned above.

I remember having problems with SWF files exported from the Adobe IDE
if I didn't -keep them, that's why it's there. If your experience is
different and you can shed some light on this, I'll remove it right
away.

> My apologizes if there is currently a way to do any of the above
> without editing the 'build_with_mtasc.rb'. I would be glad to make the
> changes myself...

The only way to add your changes is editing the 'build_with_mtasc.rb'

If you ever make a modification of it you want to share, I will
happily apply the patch if you send it to me or to the list.

Thanks for your suggestions!

--
Ale Muñoz
http://sofanaranja.com