[TxMt] Why Auto-Completion (option-escape) does not work in Rails?

Thomas Aylott (subtleGradient) oblivious at subtlegradient.com
Sat Mar 10 22:06:49 UTC 2007

On Mar 10, 2007, at 12:33 PM, James Edward Gray II wrote:

> On Mar 10, 2007, at 5:01 AM, Human Dunnil wrote:
>
>> Running Textmate Version 1.5.5 (1368), Auto-Completion does not work
>> in Rails projects (option-escape), it works great in Ruby scripts,
>> but
>> not Rails. May someone please help me find the problem?
>
> I was exploring this issue a bit yesterday.  It have trouble with
> some Rails projects and I have not been able to figure out what
> causes it.  I now have one that it fails on myself.
>
> Martin Hess has done a little research into when the command does
> and doesn't work and found the following scenarios to be problematic:
>
> * Never works inside a def
> * Doesn't work in views
> * Works outside a def in
> 	- models
> 	- helpers
> 	- the application controller, but not in any of its children -
>           this is very strange
> 	-migration
>
> These appear to be normal behavior for rcodetools though, and not
> related to my wrapping of the command.
>
> James Edward Gray II

Maybe we need to disable it in defs since it'll never work.
Then I'd want it to revert to the dumb codeCompletion one I wrote.
But I wouldn't want to confuse people into thinking they're the same
command.

Maybe I should extend mine to have the first item be the name of the
command or some other information instead of an actual completion.

Has anybody done any work on making a custom nib for completion yet?
I dying to get some functionality like CSSEdit and Xcode. Their
autocompletion makes ours look pathetic.

thomas Aylott — subtleGradient — CrazyEgg — sixteenColors