[TxMt] prefix , suffix lines ala BBEdit in TextdMate?

Steve Lianoglou lists at arachnedesign.net
Fri Mar 9 19:39:03 UTC 2007

Hi,

> Well, I tried the example for prefixing line by column and
> basically after several tries couldn't get it to work. I don't
> think I could select the 0 length column.

You can do it, either with the mouse or just the keyboard.

Using the keyboard to prefix three lines:

Move the caret to the beginning of a line.
Hold shift and press down arrow twice.
Hit option once (to toggle between "normal" and "column" select).

You now have a 0-length selection at the start of the line that spans
three lines.

Note that doing it in this way added a +1 line of column select --
something you'll have to remember is all.

Using the mouse to prefix three lines:

Hold option down.
Move the mouse to the beginning of the first line you want to prefix.
Click and drag *straight* down to cross the three lines (don't pull
the mouse right to make a box).
Let go of mouse.
Let go of option.

--> zero-width column select at the start of the three lines.

Just start typing and see.

> I wonder how much work would be involved to write a bundle that
> offered this functionality. I suspect too much or some one would
> have done it already.

It's not that, it's just not necessary, really.

Give it another go :-)

-steve