[TxMt] prefix , suffix lines ala BBEdit in TextdMate?

William D. Neumann wneumann at cs.unm.edu
Fri Mar 9 19:35:02 UTC 2007

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007, smarks.other wrote:

> Well, I tried the example for prefixing line by column and basically after
> several tries couldn't get it to work. I don't think I could select the 0
> length column.

To do this, you need to select all but the last line that you want to
prefix and hit option.  This will allow you to insert before all of the
lines.  For example, say you have:

line a
line b
line c

and you want to insert something before each line, then select the first
two lines in their entirety (here capitals represent selected text, and
____ represent the selection encompassing the whitespace at the end of a
line (including the newline).  You should then selet the text as follows:

LINE A____
LINE B____
line c

Now it option, and you'll get a zero width column selected before all
three lines:

|line a
|line b
|line c

Type your prefix and see what happens:

prefix--line a
prefix--line b
prefix--line c

It's really more simple than it sounds.

William D. Neumann

---

"There's just so many extra children, we could just feed the
children to these tigers.  We don't need them, we're not doing
anything with them.

Tigers are noble and sleek; children are loud and messy."

         -- Neko Case

Life is unfair.  Kill yourself or get over it.
 	-- Black Box Recorder