[TxMt] slow latex compilation

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at hanover.edu
Fri Mar 9 14:31:17 UTC 2007

On Mar 9, 2007, at 9:09 AM, Christof Janssen wrote:

>> So, the thing that worries me here is that textmate uses pdftex
>> instead of pdfetex. Wondering why that is, because typically it
>> runs pdfetex. Hopefully a tex file I can compile might give some
>> hints.
>
> Haris,
>
> I just realized that Texshop relies on the tetex distribution
> (installed with i-installer in /usr/local/teTex/bin/powerpc-apple-
> darwin7.9.0). pdflatex in that directory makes a call to pdftex. I
> have recently added gerben wierdas gwtex (also using the i-
> installer/automatic configuration: /usr/local/gwTeX/bin/powerpc-
> apple-darwin7.9.0). The latter is called by textmate and executes
> pdfetex. In the past, I must have used the previous engine with
> Textmate too. Which is the current version of pdfetex then?

Actually your problem is the other way around, it is textmate that is
NOT executing pdfetex, at least doesn't seem to, which is what is
puzzling me. So if you change the call that TeXShop makes and have it
use gwTeX instead, do you then get the same log files?

Btw, do you have a /usr/texbin directory? If so, which distribution
does it point to?

Also, when you compile from the command line via pdflatex, which
version of tex is used then?

> Does it make sense to send tex files if they cause trouble only
> with an outdated/depreciated engine?

If by deprecated you mean pdftex versus pdfetex, then yes it does
make sense because textmate switches to use different engines based
on the existence of some packages in the preamble, and perhaps that's
where the problem is. So if you can send us the preamble, that's the
part that I care about.

> Christof

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College