[TxMt] Re: Monaco 12 pt italicized quotes display problem

Jacob Rus jrus at hcs.harvard.edu
Wed Mar 7 03:57:52 UTC 2007

Ed Allen wrote:
> I'm a Textmate n00b, so maybe there is just something I have
> misconfigured, but just in case it is a bug...
>
> I noticed today that I wasn't seeing quotes correctly in comments at my
> default settings. My default font is Monaco 12 pt. Anti-aliasing is off.
> Inside of comments which are italicized, I noticed that I don't see
> single quotes at all (just a space) and double quotes as single quotes.
> This problem doesn't happen in the non-italicized code text and goes
> away in italicized text if I boost the text size to 14 pt. It also goes
> away if I turn off the italics styling on comments.

Monaco doesn't have an italic version, so Apple's ATSUI renderer (which
TextMate uses) has to fake it.  When antialiasing is turned on, it uses
the vector outlines, and looks somewhat passable.  When antialiasing is
off, it tries to italicize the pixel font.  This shouldn't result in
anything actually disappearing, but either way the output is going to be
terrible.

I recommend either:

a) turn on antialiasing, or
b) turn off italics in your theme

Hopefully, TextMate 2.0 will allow turning on antialiasing only for
bold/italics, but leaving it off for plain text.  That would be awesome.
  Until then, italic unantialiased Monaco is just going to look horrible
and there's nothing to do about it.

-Jacob