[TxMt] How can TextMate be so popular???

Rob Shearer textmate at v.cx
Tue Mar 6 22:57:54 UTC 2007

One of the most effective trolls I've seen in a long while; you'd
think list members could have been tipped off by someone who actually
subscribed to the users mailing list after using the application for
no more than two minutes...

We've got self-contradictory complaints ("How dare files open in
separate windows!"/"The interface should be completely intuitive for
new users!"), vague and easily-refuted shortcomings ("I want to open
a file using the keyboard! But without Command-O! Or the terminal!"),
disingenuous incredulity ("I can't believe the help system would be
so arcane!" from an Emacs user), and outright insults for both the
developer and the entire user community.

In fact, I'd say the main weakness of the posting is that he
accidentally hit on a couple of genuine issues in TM. The foldings
system---although elegant---just isn't sophisticated enough (but I
think all Python users have realized this), and the project-vs-
multiple-window system is genuinely challenging for new users---I'm
still having trouble figuring it out completely, and while I may
ultimately decide that it does actually work just how I'd like it's
been frustrating getting used to it.

I don't think TextMate is perfect, but I think $50 was a bargain for
the best text editor I've ever used. I'd pay again for a version
which addressed the above shortcomings. (As well as fixing char-by-
char undo. Has anyone ever mentioned that?)

-rob