[TxMt] How can TextMate be so popular???

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Tue Mar 6 21:55:14 UTC 2007

On 6. Mar 2007, at 22:14, tlm wrote:

> [...] Are you telling me that every time I want to open a new file
> I have the choice of either using the GUI or switching to a
> Terminal window so that I can use the CLI?  I certainly prefer the
> latter over the former, but it is awkward at best.  Sheesh...

See http://macromates.com/textmate/manual/
working_with_multiple_files#moving_between_files_with_grace for other
options.

> [...] (So don't blame the OSX Help system for TM's developers'
> incompetence.)

When you select Help from TextMate, notice that a new icon appears in
your dock. If you hover the mouse over it, it has a title of “Help
Viewer”, you can control-click the icon and select “Show in Finder”,
and you should see, that it reveals that the Help Viewer is located
under Core Services -- I did not write this piece of software.

As for the problem you are seeing: after you have clicked on a search
result, be sure to click the main window once more, now try the Find
dialog, this will make it work (by making the HTML view the first
responder) -- this is a problem with the Help Viewer, it also
manifests itself by not allowing the arrow up/down keys to scroll the
document, after clicking a search result.

> [...] In my original post I wrote that to design software to beep
> without giving the user an error message is an inexcusable bit of
> software engineering malpractice [...] I guess we only differ in
> that I have higher standards for software than you all [...]

As a developer I am always interested in improving my skills. Given
your attention to detail and high standards, would you have any
software on the marked I could try out for inspiration?