[TxMt] Re: Textmate bundle disappeared

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at hanover.edu
Fri Mar 2 21:14:23 UTC 2007

On Mar 2, 2007, at 3:51 PM, Bruno wrote:

> Steve, my fresh install consisted of a new download and deleted
> prefs, rather than a whole new account, but as I said, finding and
> dragging the Textmate bundle from Pristine Copy to Bundles did the
> trick.

For future reference, "fresh install" means also removing everything
from /Library/Application Support/TextMate and ~/Library/Application
Support/TextMate.

Your problems after your attempt at cleanup where arising because
this was not actually the case.

The bundle mechanism seems a bit daunting at first, but it is
actually fairly logical. There are four locations where bundles/
bundle items may reside:

1) Inside the TextMate application
2) In /Library/Application Support/TextMate/Bundles
3) In ~/Library/Application Support/TextMate/Bundles, where ~ is the
current user's home directory
4) ~/Library/Application Support/TextMate/Pristine Copy/Bundles

TextMate ships with a number of bundles, so that someone could start
using it immediately. It contains the current version of those
bundles at the time of packaging, and it doesn't contain all the
bundles, just the most often used ones.

If you want a newer version of a bundle, you have the option of
checking things out from the repository. It is recommended that you
do that in /Library/Application Support/TextMate/Bundles.

Now, each user might edit/add bundle items, and those changes are
recorded in ~/Library/Application Support/TextMate/Bundles. This
contains typically "delta" files, that record the local differences
to the command, for instance if you change a shortcut or something.

And finally we come to the Pristine Copy directory. When you get a
new bundle not via the repository, but via downloading a .tmBundle
file, then this initial version of this bundle is stored in this
directory. It is supposed to be the bundle in its "pristine state",
and any modifications you do to the bundle are recorded in ~/Library/
Application Support/TextMate/Bundles. so you could return to that
pristine state by removing these local modifications. It is supposed
to be used only for bundles not shipping with TM, since there is
already a "pristine state" for those bundles inside the TM application.

All this is probably explained somewhere in the wiki and/or manual,
but I didn't really feel like looking it up. Hope this makes things
clearer.

> Bruno

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College