[TxMt] Open command

Cliff Pruitt lists.cpruitt at cliffpruitt.com
Tue Jun 19 18:32:54 UTC 2007

Hey Chuck,
I do understand your point of view (though I think you might have
misunderstood a few of my comments a bit).  I personally wouldn't
much care if ⌘O defaulted to my iTunes library.  I never use it
anyway.  I'm just trying to outline some of the reasoning (as a
completely uneducated/outsider guess) for the current behavior.

Consider the other applications on your HD.  Almost all of them
behave like TextMate currently does.  TextEdit, Photoshop,
Illustrator, Script Editor, XCode, Safari, FireFox, Automator,
QuickTime Player, Preview, etc... All participate in a standard
behavior throughout the OS in which the open dialog defaults to the
the last directory that the application currently opened a document
from.  It's not that changing TM would be counter productive, it's
just that it would be a violation of the normal open behavior as
generally implemented throughout the OS.  The behavior you are
describing may indeed be useful, and yes there are obvious
development solutions to all the "what if's", but in reality its just
a separate command, and should exist alongside of, not as a
replacement to, the standard "Open" behavior. Hence, my suggestion
that you use a command as an alternative.

As for:
>> In its current incarnation text mate expects that you're doing
>> thing in a somewhat standard way.
[...]
> Hey now, nothing non-standard about Terminal.

I'm definitely not claiming that the terminal is non-standard.  I
couldn't live without it.  "Standard" probably wasn't the best word.
Maybe should have been "consistent".  I was saying that it makes
sense to assume that if you're already in your working directory in
terminal and you 'mate Foo.txt' to open it, then you're just as
likely to 'mate Bar.txt' to open another file and open your files in
a "consistent" way from file to file.  There are a lot of people that
maybe don't.  I for one almost always 'mate' from Terminal or open
files from the project drawer so my methods are quite consistent.

I think something you wrote makes a good point of conversation:
> Now I hit ⌘O and I'm still seeing the completely unrelated file
> system directory from that other project! How can that be useful/good?

I think it's your opinion that ⌘O should be "project aware".  I
can't say it'd be a bad thing per-se, but it's still my opinion that
TM has built in support for grouping files into projects so ⌘O
should probably be project neutral.  If you are working with a
project anyway, why not use the drawer? (Use ⌘⌥~ to switch focus
to the drawer & Enter to open the selection).

Fortunately TM is very robust in terms of customization, and I've
rarely found something I totally needed that I couldn't massage into
a command or snippet.  Give the previously mentioned command a shot
and I think you may not find much of a disadvantage to it.

- Cliff