[TxMt] Wordpress 2.2 and Pings/Comments

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Wed Jun 13 20:23:11 UTC 2007

On 11. Jun 2007, at 18:40, Joseph Scott wrote:

>> [...]
>> Looking at the diff of xmlrpc.php between 2.1.3 and 2.2, it does
>> seem they broke it (or made some change I can’t really understand).
>>
>> Basically when you set comments: on/yes/y/1 in TextMate then we
>> send ‘mt_allow_comments=open’ to WordPress (to all other systems
>> we send ‘mt_allow_comments=1’).
>
> Ahhh, sending a value of 'open' would certainly be the issue
> there.  Before I go doctoring this up, is there list of all the
> potential values that are sent for mt_allow_comments?  Is it just
> 'open' and 'closed'?

Well, actually the “standard” is 1 or 0 -- but WordPress has been
using “open” and “closed” in the past. So ideally you’d change it to
accept both values, then long-term (i.e. when users are on WP 2.2+)
we can remove the special-casing for WP.

>> [...]
>> I have cc’ed Joseph Scott on this letter, he is involved with the
>> WordPress XML-RPC interface, so he might be able to comment as to
>> whether or not this is a bug.
>
> The above looks about right.  With a little work I'm we'll be able
> to accommodate non-int values that are being sent, I'd like to know
> exactly what those are before I start adding more code though.

Btw: have a look at both NewPost and EditPost -- it seems NewPost
sets comment_status to open/closed where EditPost sets it to the
value of mt_allow_comments casted to an int. When using
comment_status, it is tested against the string value 'open'. So
regardless of value sent (for mt_allow_comments) it will always
disable comments when editing a post.