[TxMt] C bundle: Functions with multi-line argument lists

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Mon Jun 11 15:09:07 UTC 2007

On 11. Jun 2007, at 15:33, Steve King wrote:

> [...]
> Just out of curiosity, C is chock full of multi-line constructs. In
> fact, the language itself (ignoring the pre-processor) assigns no
> special meaning to the end-of-line. It's just another whitespace
> character.  How are multiline language constructs handled
> elsewhere, and why do function prototypes cause a particular problem?

TextMate only has the current line as look-ahead, and that is not
enough to say if what we’re looking at is starting a function or some
other construct. If C functions were all prefixed with a ‘function’
keyword or if there weren’t a zillion other constructs, which given
only the first line, could be mistaken for a function, there wouldn’t
be a problem.

So the problem boils down to, given just the first line of a
construct, can you say what the construct is? In C you sometimes
can’t, in most other languages you generally can.