[TxMt] Caps Lock as Ctrl key doesn't work for all combos

Quinn Comendant quinn at strangecode.com
Fri Jun 1 03:49:28 UTC 2007

On Tue, 29 May 2007 22:57:20 -0500, Jon Larkowski wrote:
> I've mapped my Caps Lock key to act as the Ctrl key (in Keyboard &
> Mouse preferences > Modifier Keys...).  Problem is, not all TextMate
> combos work with this.

You're not crazy Jon!

I too experience similar weirdness using caps->cntl on a a non-mac external keyboard. I'm using an old IBM Model M [1] and find the cntl key doesn't map correctly in some cases.

In my case I have remapped the following:

Alt -> Command
Ctrl -> Option
Caps -> Cntl

I think all my problems involve the left shift key. For example, Cntl + Shift + Opt + S doesn't invoke the SQL/Shell language menu. However if I use the *right* shift key it does work. Which means something is awray with the keyboard or the PS/2->USB converter. Any other keyboard does work. I've gotten use to using the right shift key in these cases but I'm not happy about it. And since I expect my Model M to last longer than my fingers (it's 20 yrs old already) I'd like to figure out what's wrong.

Anybody else using a Model M on a Mac?

> [Hear me now, believe me later.  I had an old Sun keyboard that was
> laid out this way, and it's the only way to fly.  Especially on the
> MacBook Pro where the normal Ctrl key is quite inconvenient to hit.]

I *love* my new cntl key, regardless of keyboard. I've never missed the caps lock.

> For example:  Paste From History Ctrl-Option-Command-V.  Works fine
> with normal Ctrl key, but does not work with Caps Lock used as Ctrl.

Cntl + Opt + Command + V *does* work for me.

Quinn

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Model_M