[TxMt] Latex Config and backward compatibility questions

Brad Miller bmiller at luther.edu
Tue Jul 31 16:03:42 UTC 2007

Robin,

I tried to move the Latex Watch command into the branch today.  But I'm not
having much luck when I try to use it.

When I first try to watch a file I it compiles and displays just fine.
But, if I make any changes the view does not update.  I get the following
error in the log:

entering extended mode
This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)
 %&-line parsing enabled.
entering extended mode
true
Use of uninitialized value in system at /Users/bmiller/Library/Application
Support/TextMate/Bundles/Latex.tmbundle/Support/bin/latex_watch.pl line 690.

More importantly, I think there are two issues to think about:

1.  It feels like there must be a ton of duplicated effort between the
typeset and view command as implemented in texMate.py and friends and what
you have done.  texMate.py is pretty modular, and may be able to do much of
what latex_watch.pl does.

2.  I don't understand the limitation about not being able to watch files
that have the \begin document in an included header file.  If there is some
previous discussion on this maybe you could point me to the email.  If not
could you give me a quick overview of the problem.

Thanks,

Brad

On 7/23/07, Robin Houston <robin.houston at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's wonderful that you're doing this! Having a configuration dialog
> is a great idea. Also, it means there is one less thing for me to feel
> guilty about not doing. :-)
>
> It seems a little odd to have -interaction=nonstopmode
> -file-line-error being configurable, given that the output parser will
> fail without them. How is the user supposed to know that these options
> are required, without knowing the inner workings of the bundle? What's
> wrong with just adding them automatically, as now?
>
> I am hoping that these settings will be stored in such a way that
> Latex Watch can easily find them. (Also, I'd be delighted if Watch
> were integrated into the main LaTeX bundle. I can see no particular
> reason for it not to be, and people seem to find it useful.)
>
> I agree that supporting the existing environment variables is not an
> essential feature. The current situation is such a mess, it's probably
> a good idea to ditch it and start again.
>
> Robin

Brad Miller
Assistant Professor, Computer Science
Luther College