[TxMt] a shell mode for TextMate?

Jay Soffian jay-txmt at soffian.org
Tue Jul 31 13:19:39 UTC 2007

On Jul 30, 2007, at 10:05 PM, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> The main problem with creating such mode is that there are like 30
> years of legacy stuff involved when creating a terminal emulator.
> I.e. this would be a serious drain on my resources, alone fully
> understanding all this tty stuff is beyond my current capabilities.

FWIW, "M-x shell" doesn't give you a proper terminal -- it only
emulates a dumb terminal which is good enough for the times that you
want a shell inside your editor. Not sure how much that simplifies
things, but at least it means you don't need to understand vt100
(much less xterm control sequences).

> My secret plan is to open up more of TextMate’s internal API (in
> 2.x) and hopefully then someone else can create a terminal mode /
> port an existing terminal to use TextMate as back-end or similar.

Integration w/CocoaTechTerminal would be interesting. :-)

j.