[TxMt] Latex Config and backward compatibility questions

Brad Miller bmiller at luther.edu
Thu Jul 26 18:01:03 UTC 2007

On 7/26/07, Mark Eli Kalderon <eli at markelikalderon.com> wrote:

> > I just checked in a fix.  I was putting one too many levels of shell
> quoting around the file name (to protect against spaces in the file name)
> the other version of tex seemed to accomodate the quotes just fine but not
> xelatex.  Thanks.  I don't use xelatex at all so I'm glad you are giving it
> a workout.
>
> Thanks Brad, that worked. But I am experiencing some more xelatex
> wierdness. The command seems to choke when the url package is loaded
> (see below for the error) with the result that I get garbage in the
> first page. This didn't happen with the old command; it doesn't happen
> when the document is typeset from the command line; and documents with
> the url package typeset fine when using pdflatex.

Mark,

I added a print statement and switching from pdflatex to xelatex only
changes the first part of the command, so I'm not sure what is going on.

Command is:  pdflatex -interaction=nonstopmode -file-line-error-style  "
mlu.tex"
Command is:  xelatex -interaction=nonstopmode -file-line-error-style  "
mlu.tex"

I do know that if I add \usepackage{url} I get the same errors you do about
a missing \begin document.  This makes me think that there is something in
the environment or some other option that should be used to make the url
package behave with xelatex.

 Do you have some TM_LATEX_OPTIONS set in the project where you use xelatex?

I've looked through the old script and I cannot see where there is any
special handling of xelatex other than automatically figuring out when it
should be used.

Maybe someone who added support for xelatex in the older version has an
idea??

While I am at it, I have a UI question/comment. It seems odd that the
> option to configure the typesetting engine appears when you typeset a
> document. This makes switching engines cumbersome since you have to
> typeset the document with the wrong engine before configuring. (Though,
> of course, using the appropriate %!TEX directives solves this problem,
> but still...)

There is a bundle command called Configure  which also brings up the
configuration window, so you don't have to typeset a document to find the
Configure button, you can choose it from the bundle menu before you typeset.

 Brad

Brad Miller
Assistant Professor, Computer Science
Luther College