[TxMt] Latex Config and backward compatibility questions

Mark Eli Kalderon eli at markelikalderon.com
Thu Jul 26 17:01:35 UTC 2007

> I just checked in a fix.  I was putting one too many levels of shell quoting around the file name (to protect against spaces in the file name) the other version of tex seemed to accomodate the quotes just fine but not xelatex.  Thanks.  I don't use xelatex at all so I'm glad you are giving it a workout.

Thanks Brad, that worked. But I am experiencing some more xelatex
wierdness. The command seems to choke when the url package is loaded
(see below for the error) with the result that I get garbage in the
first page. This didn't happen with the old command; it doesn't happen
when the document is typeset from the command line; and documents with
the url package typeset fine when using pdflatex.

While I am at it, I have a UI question/comment. It seems odd that the
option to configure the typesetting engine appears when you typeset a
document. This makes switching engines cumbersome since you have to
typeset the document with the wrong engine before configuring. (Though,
of course, using the appropriate %!TEX directives solves this problem,
but still...)

Here is the relevant part of the log:

/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/tex/latex/ltxmisc/url.sty:42:
Undefined cont
rol sequence.
l.42   \Url at OTnonTT
                    % more for any but typewriter
/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/tex/latex/ltxmisc/url.sty:43: Too many
}'s.
l.43   }

/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/tex/latex/ltxmisc/url.sty:51:
Undefined cont
rol sequence.
l.51   \do
          \젴hchar184 }}
/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/tex/latex/ltxmisc/url.sty:51:
Undefined cont
rol sequence.
l.51   \do\젴hchar
                   184 }}

Latex Error:
/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/tex/latex/ltxmisc/url.sty:51  Missing
\begin{document}.

Type  H   for immediate help.

l.51   \do\젴hchar1
                    84 }}
/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/tex/latex/ltxmisc/url.sty:51: Too many
}'s.
l.51   \do\젴hchar184 }
                        }