[TxMt] TrueType with embedded bitmap fonts

Tobias Jung newsgr at tobiasjung.net
Thu Jul 26 10:03:48 UTC 2007

Hello,

probably this not even is a TextMate problem, but I want to make sure
that it's not before I spend hours of research what I'm doing wrong...

I know that some of you, just like me, use ProFont as editing font in
TextMate (and I'm talking about the original pre-OSX version, not
ProFontX). ProFont includes the font outlines as well as bitmap
versions for some sizes; as far as I can see TextMate uses this
bitmap versions for screen display.

In the days of the classic MacOS, those bitmap versions were stored
in the resource fork of the file; but nowadays it's possible to
create a TrueType font with embedded bitmap fonts which are stored in
the data fork. I've been using FontForge [1] to create such a font,
but when using this font in TextMate, it clearly does NOT use the
bitmapped version but rather the outlines which are somewhat fuzzy at
small sizes.

So I guess that I'm doing something wrong when I create the ttf file
from FontForge, but this is what I want to make sure: Does TextMate
support such "TrueType with embedded bitmap" fonts or will it always
use the outline no matter what I do?

Kind regards,
Tobias

[1] http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/