[TxMt] key binding blues

Darren Hardy dhardy at bren.ucsb.edu
Wed Jul 25 20:06:03 UTC 2007

hi TextMate'rs,

i have the key binding blues. i'm an old vi guy and i still cannot
deal with the mouse when writing. so, i want to be able to use
TextMate *without* using the mouse. moreover, i want to be able to
use all the keys on the *home row* of my query keyboard (e.g., a-s-d-
f-g-h-j-k-l-;).

my question is how do i ensure that my keybindings override
everything? for example, TextMate uses ^h in lots of different
bundles and i have to hand-edit a dozen different bundles to change
^h to something else. (i thought control- functions were reserved for
user stuff?).

right now, i'm using KeyBindings.dict in ~/Library/Application
Support/TextMate, like so:

{
     /* vi-like navigation */
     "^f" = "pageDown:";
     "^b" = "pageUp:";
     "^w" = "moveWordRight:";
     "^h" = "moveLeft:";
     "^j" = "moveDown:";
     "^k" = "moveUp:";
     "^l" = "moveRight:";
     "^e" = "scrollLineDown:";
     "^y" = "scrollLineUp:";
}

also, is there anyplace that has the definitive documentation for
what the keybindings are? (TextMate's 'Show Keyboard Shortcuts' isn't
showing my changes).  i'm mostly interested in text navigation and
basic word processing functions. i can't believe that i'm nostalgic
for WordPerfect circa 1990 when everything clearly defined via
function keys and you could by a reference card for it :).
neverthelesss, TextMate has more promise than anything i've seen in
years.

finally, are there example key binding configurations for TextMate
that are emacs-like or bash-like or vi-like?

thanks in advance,
-darren