[TxMt] Latex Config and backward compatibility questions

Brad Miller bmiller at luther.edu
Mon Jul 23 18:41:05 UTC 2007

--
Brad Miller
Assistant Professor, Computer Science
Luther College

On 7/23/07, Robin Houston <robin.houston at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's wonderful that you're doing this! Having a configuration dialog
> is a great idea. Also, it means there is one less thing for me to feel
> guilty about not doing. :-)

No problem, its been a while since I worked on this, and the state of
latexErrWarnHtml.py has always nagged at me.  I feel better having cleaned
it up now.

It seems a little odd to have -interaction=nonstopmode
> -file-line-error being configurable, given that the output parser will
> fail without them. How is the user supposed to know that these options
> are required, without knowing the inner workings of the bundle? What's
> wrong with just adding them automatically, as now?

Good point, the options were one of the last things I added, and I just
pasted in some default options without giving it much thought.  I agree that
since the rest of the command needs -file-line-error style that it should
not be optional!

I am hoping that these settings will be stored in such a way that
> Latex Watch can easily find them. (Also, I'd be delighted if Watch
> were integrated into the main LaTeX bundle. I can see no particular
> reason for it not to be, and people seem to find it useful.)

They are stored in the com.macromates.textmate.plist file.  Its not hard for
ruby or python to parse this the plist into something easy to work with.

I agree that supporting the existing environment variables is not an
> essential feature. The current situation is such a mess, it's probably
> a good idea to ditch it and start again.

Robin