[TxMt] Latex Config and backward compatibility questions

Mike Miller mightymiller19 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 18:18:22 UTC 2007

> TM_LATEX_MASTER
> This one is more interesting.  We currently have two ways to
> specify a master/root file.  Using this variable, or using the
> TexShop %!TEX directive embedded directly in the file.  The TexShop
> way seems clearly superior to me since it allows for more
> flexibility than a single environment variable per directory or
> project.  So my proposal is that the environment variable goes away.

I agree that the %!TEX directive allows for more flexibility, but I
think that there are several reasons that support for the environment
variable should not be dropped.  First, at least in my case, it has
always sufficed to use the TM_LATEX_MASTER environment variable, and
I'm not sure that I can imagine a realistic situation in which one
would need more than one master file per project.  Is there a common
scenario in which one uses several "master" files for the same project?

Second, if I'm not mistaken, the %!TEX directive must be placed
manually in every new file that is created in a project; however, if
one uses the TM_LATEX_MASTER environment variable, a new file in a
project is automatically assumed to have the same master file as the
environment variable.

Basically, I think that one master file per project makes sense
because, well, it's a "master" file!

The dialog looks great, but I do have some questions.  How does one
add a viewer to the list of choices for default viewer?  Also, I'm
slightly confused about how the options for opening the viewer
interact with the error reporting.  Do these settings have any effect
on the error reporting window?  If they don't, how will one set what
is currently known as TM_LATEX_ERRLVL?  I think that these settings
(error reporting and viewer settings) should be independent.
Personally, I would like to have the viewer always open, but I would
also like to always be shown the errors/warnings that result from a
compile.

Thanks,

Mike Miller