[TxMt] Is the TextMate community faulty?

Andy Armstrong andy at hexten.net
Mon Jul 23 12:27:04 UTC 2007

A couple of recent posts asking perfectly reasonable questions about
TextMate (can you open documents R/O, can you split the screen) have
attracted answers in the spirit of "why would you want to do that?"
or "here's a command that will erase your hard drive luser". The
latter a particularly stupid and frankly unexpected contribution from
Thomas.

I know TM has a lot of fans in the Ruby community. I wonder if we're
seeing the same attitude that hangs around Ruby like a bad smell
("you can't write a DSL in any language apart from Ruby", "wow!
That's just not possible in other languages") applied to TextMate.

Assuming there's at least some overlap between the two groups of
fanatics I'll attempt to address both at the same time: please wait
until you've had experience of other languages / editors before you
start condemning everthing not-Ruby or not-Textmate.

Ruby and TextMate are both excellent tools; both have limitations and
misfeatures as all non trivial software does. Neither will continue
to improve if their fans believe them already perfect.

   "And what should they know of England who only England know?"
                                          Rudyard Kipling, The
English Flag

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net