[TxMt] opening a file readonly

Cliff Pruitt lists.cpruitt at cliffpruitt.com
Fri Jul 20 23:27:20 UTC 2007

1.

On Jul 20, 2007, at 3:37 PM, Pete Siemsen wrote:
> Perhaps a readonly mode isn't a feature found in many editors, but
> it con be useful the reasons I've described.

Hey, no argument from me.  From what you said you were doing it makes
sense.

> Is this email posted to this list sufficient to request it as a
> future enhancement?

I suppose that all depends on weather or not Allan read it. :-)  I'd
say the thread made a pretty strong case for the usefulness of the
feature but I don't know where it'd rank on his list of priorities.

2.

On Jul 20, 2007, at 9:02 AM, Dave Winzler wrote:
> One feature of BBEdit that I've missed since moving to TextMate a
> couple years ago is the ability to open a file Read Only,
> [...]
> Don't know about the other 2,999 editors that off that feature,
> tho, so I'll let others chime in about that ;)

Dave,
Yeah, I kinda figured BBedit would have it.  Somehow I kinda lump
BBedit into the Emacs / vim category in my mind anyway.  I was more
thinking "editor" in the broader sense like, a graphic, audio or
video editor in addition to just text.  There's usually a pretty
clear distinction between reader/player and creator/editor.  Again,
that's *usually* the case but I'd completely agree it can be useful
at times.

- Cliff