[TxMt] opening a file readonly

Cliff Pruitt lists.cpruitt at cliffpruitt.com
Thu Jul 19 22:52:07 UTC 2007

On Jul 19, 2007, at 1:11 PM, Pete Siemsen wrote:

> Cliff, I think it's probably safe to call Emacs and vim "text
> editors" :-)  It's very useful to view, seach and navigate a huge
> config file with a text editor, and I prefer to browse readonly
> files with the same tool that I use to edit files.  A few days ago
> I wrote a TextMate language grammar for Juniper router configs, so
> now TextMate does syntax highlighting and folding of these config
> files.  It's surprisingly useful.

Pete,
Yeah I know what you're saying & of course Emacs & vim are "text
editors". :-)  But honestly how many "editors" of any kind have a
read-only mode? (This is where someone emails me a list of like 3,000
read-only editors & I look like a jerk... happens every time.)  It's
just a non-standard feature both happen to have. I don't discount
that it's useful, I just wanted to pose the question that maybe
something else would work.  I think it's just comparatively
infrequent that the need to to completely prevent the buffer from
changing at all.  Usually most people have smaller tasks & just "not
saving" is sufficient even though that's not your need.

- Cliff