[TxMt] mysql bundle, password issues, utf8 encoding

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Tue Jul 17 08:20:59 UTC 2007

On 17. Jul 2007, at 06:15, Tench wrote:

> several people on this list have brought up the issue of non-
> sticking passwords in the new MySql bundle. There were suggestions
> to reinstall, revert bundles to original state etc –– I have done
> that, but I am still prompted for password with every query and
> with every change of table in the database browser.

Did you check the key chain? If you have the time, please join
#textmate at freenode.net and help us (ciaran) troubleshoot this.

In fact anyone who has a reproducible problem with this bundle and
can spare a few minutes getting it fixed, please join the IRC chat.

> Secondly, I mentioned before that the mysql bundle is not happily
> working with non-latin unicode -- queries containing, for instance,
> Cyrilic or Greek are not executed as they should (they return no
> values), and  tables containing non-latin utf8 text display
> question marks instead of text.

So the stuff in your database is not UTF-8?

The reason the query failing is then likely because your query text
is sent as UTF-8 but then does not match because the data in your
table is in another encoding.

As for not showing the non-UTF-8 characters from your tables
correctly, I am afraid this falls under the “we assume all text is
UTF-8”-policy [1]. Did this work for you with the previous database
browser?

I believe some databases have the notion of an encoding, but I also
believe it is wrong most of the time, and encoding could be a per-
table thing, even per row -- so I doubt this will be addressed, sorry.

[1]: http://lists.macromates.com/pipermail/textmate/2007-July/
020707.html