[TxMt] files in project view

Ian Smith-Dahl isd at strangetower.com
Thu Jul 5 15:04:42 UTC 2007

On Jul 5, 2007, at 9:59 AM, Dan Lowe wrote:

> On Jul 5, 2007, at 4:42 AM, Graham Ashton wrote:
>
>>> I've never liked working with projects over the network.  I find it
>>> much easier (and faster) to keep a local copy of my project and just
>>> FTP the changes over.
>>
>> I've never understood how people can put up with ftp-ing every little
>> change. Is there a way to automate it so you don't have to press any
>> buttons to make it happen?
>
> There are clients that will auto-update the server side whenever
> you save the local copy you are editing. I use Cyberduck[1] to edit
> files on my servers via SFTP. (Before anybody mentions sshfs, I
> have tried it, numerous times, and it always dies, leaving things
> all screwy and hung, so I have given up on it).
>
> I'm sure there are other FTP/SFTP clients that behave similarly.

I also recommend Cyberduck.       It basically gives you a textmate
icon in your ftp gui window, which, when clicked on, will launch a
file in a temporary folder.    Whenever you save this temporary file,
it will automatically upload through cyberduck to the server.    I
recommend using growl as well, so that this process isn't totally
invisible to you... sometimes it can take a few seconds to upload,
and it's nice to be notified when it's done.

The only snag I've run across is that I often work on project-wide
changes, and using cyberduck in this way keeps you from using
textmate's wonderful project support features.