[TxMt] Textmate on large monitors?

Pedro Melo melo at simplicidade.org
Thu Jul 5 13:59:26 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Jul 4, 2007, at 12:37 AM, Brian Marick wrote:
> On Jul 3, 2007, at 3:20 PM, Constantinos Neophytou ♎ wrote:
>
>> Just out of curiosity, is there a particular reason you're using
>> separate windows and not project tabs for each file you're in? I
>> work on multiple files all the time (I've been known to have up to
>> 10-15 files open and currently being worked on), but everything's
>> made straight forward with textmate's project window as I have a
>> single window with a file/folder list on the side, and each file
>> open in tabs.. so when i cmd-tab, i end up back to the file i was
>> on with all the files i'm working on visible in the tabs..
>
> Can you see two or more source files at the same time? That's what
> I want. Here's a picture:
> <http://www.testing.com/blog/images/textmate.png

You can open several TextMate windows in the same project. It works.
I do that all the time exactly for the purpose you specify: see the
source code and the source of the tests.

I find it easier than switching tabs in the same project window.

The drawback is that you can't easly switch between windows with the
keyboard. There is a somewhat standard shortcut, Command-`, but the `
is a dead-key in some European keyboard mappings so it doesn't seem
to work with Textmate.

I believe I saw something about multiple windows in the same project
for 2.0+ but I could be wrong.

> I can see both the test file (sheet-tests.rb) and the source I'm
> working on to make the test pass (stereotypes.rb).
>
> I don't care if they're in separate windows. In fact, I'd prefer
> them not to be. I'd rather split the screen (as in Emacs or IDEA).

Yes, I would love split windows in Textmate.  maybe 2.0+...

Best regards,
--
Pedro Melo
XMPP ID: melo at simplicidade.org