[TxMt] Re: another command question

Constantinos Neophytou ♎ jaguarcy at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 19:42:03 UTC 2007

One man's hack, another man's feature... :)

I don't get what all the fuss is about in that article. I see their
point, and I believe it's completely legit, but how is that different
than running, let's say, system daemons like apache or an ftp server?
As long as you trust the source, I don't see the problem... It's not
like you have to enable something that will allow third parties to
install Input Managers automatically, you have to do it yourself...
It just boils down to whether or not I'd be willing to run a certain
program on my machine that performs system wide changes, and the
answer is only if I trusted the source..

I guess this is a whole different can-of-worms... For example for all
my preaching, I have uninstalled Greasemonkey from my Firefox
installation... Once third-party extensions become so easy to make/
install, then one can get carried away. But it doesn't change the
fact that I have a total of 6 input managers installed, all of which
provide features I find invaluable... Chax, iGlasses, 2 growl plugins
(safari and iPhoto), SIMBL (for SafariStand - which I'm considering
for removal just because it affects so much more than what
SafariStand requires), and edit in textmate... Granted, I would not
install any of these on a server machine, but then again I wouldn't
be coding on a server machine either :) (well, not much anyway)...

2c