[TxMt] LaTeX bundle problem

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Tue Jul 3 14:12:28 UTC 2007

On Jul 3, 2007, at 05:48, Maxime Boissonneault wrote:

> Hello,
> I understand the problem now. However, how come TextMate can detect
> what encoding was used for a file, and the scanner can not ?
>
> UTF8 can cause problems with Bibtex (http://www.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~fischer/kbibtex/encoding.html
> )

See also

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.text.tex/browse_frm/thread/7e406a5c250cc6bc/8aefd925c735c842?lnk=st&q=bibtex+unicode+group%3Acomp.text.tex&rnum=1&hl=en#8aefd925c735c842

which has a better explanation of the problem(s) of using multibyte
encodings with BibTeX.  Sorting is broken, of course, but apparently
some BibTeX styles have even worse problems.

> Allan Odgaard a écrit :
>> On 29. Jun 2007, at 19:39, Maxime Boissonneault wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, I was not really talking about modifying the code myself. I
>>> meant providing more information that you might need. [...]
>>
>> The problem is that your source documents are scanned for
>> completion candidates in their on-disk state.
>>
>> The scanner cannot know what encoding you have used, and so it
>> assumes (for good reason) UTF-8.
>>
>> But in fact the stuff is malformed, when treated as UTF-8, so TM
>> will discard it, when the label completion command tries to insert
>> it.

I haven't been following this too closely, but ISTR that cross-
reference labels, like TeX command names, are limited to ASCII letters
and digits 0-9.  You might get away with accented characters using
some encodings, but it would probably break horribly with UTF-8.

--
Adam