[TxMt] Mercurial (was: Working with CVS in TextMate)

Fred B fredb7 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 03:35:57 UTC 2007

On 1/25/07, Sean Schertell <sean at datafly.net> wrote:
> Another great version control system is Mercurial (also called "hg").
> It's also similar to CVS, SVN but lighter-weight and arguably more
> reliable.
>
> The OpenSolaris project and many other major projects have switched
> over to Mercurial full-time so it's not really a totally left-field
> system, and it's gaining traction fast.
>
> Definitely worth a look:
> http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/
>
> There's even a TM bundle for it :-)
>
> Sean

Yes, Mercurial is definitely worth a look.
One of its advantage over CVS or svn is that it is a distributed
system, that means you can work and commit locally before pushing to
the remote repository. It's easier to use locally too, as the
repository and the working copy are in the same place, you can have
everything in one folder.

After installing Mercurial and the bundle, open a folder in TM, hit
ctrl + shift + M and choose "init" then "AddRemove" to add all the
files (eventually create a .hgignore file before to exclude some
files) then "commit" and BOOM ;), your folder is under revision
control.

I made the Mercurial bundle as it is now. I plan to work more on it
when I have the time, but I think it's already really usable now.
Please, give me feedback if you use it. I plan to make a
tutorial/screencast about it one day too.

--
FredB