[TxMt] Compare text files based on words not lines

Christoph Prion prion67 at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 21 21:13:15 UTC 2007

Mark

ooops. For some reason  am having a rough start here on this list
because I never see the the mails I am posting myself turning up in my
inbox. This is why I sent my very first message (ahem) about five
times...I made doubly sure that "receive your own message from the
list" was checked.

Sorry if you felt ignored after replying to that other thread. There
are two kind of problems. First, diacritics (ä, ü, é) are not
displayed corrrectly. This is probably solvable but I haven't
investigated. Second type of problem I have outlined in my last post.
In short, it is the fact that FileMerge (just like the other tools)
becomes very generous about the size of the context in which changes
exist between the files. Third (nobody expects the Spanish
inquisition!) when dealing with large files, the trailing edge regions
of the file FileMerge displays contain many errors and also parts that
both documents have, are missing in FileMerge.
I don't exactly know if this is triggered by the files being UTF-8
encoded. I happened to realize it first with UTF-8 files and this put
me off enough to exclude FileMerge from further testing although I
liked it visually very much.

On Wikipedia it is mentioned that Filemerge expects encoding Roman.
I'd be glad to hear your comments on this and recommendations on how
to solve the diacritics problem.

Thanks
Christoph