[TxMt] Irrational folding behavior when syncing a file between two TextMates via .Mac

John Bergmayer bergmayer at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 17:29:12 UTC 2007

I keep a bunch of markdown-formatted text files on my iDisk.  I use
folding extensively in them, like this:

	Some words{

	*  Text that is folded.

	}

To the best of my knowledge, curly braces are the only way to fold in Markdown.

Sometimes I've been opening a file and seeing that the folding goes
from the top brace to some random point *inside* the folded text,
instead of to the closing brace or anything that could possibly be
construed as a folding marker.

I'm pretty sure that this is because when I create the file with one
TextMate on my iMac, edit it while away on my Macbook, and then open
up the changed file again on my iMac later (all the syncing and such
has happened in the meantime), somehow the metadata  hasn't come along
with it.  So when I open the file, I have the data on one but the
saved folding info for the old version, still.  So the top brace folds
to the line number of where the closing brace *used to be*.

Now, the way I use my iDisk (and the whole reason why I use it at all
instead of Strongspace) is that it keeps a local copy on both my
Macbook and my iMac, as well as on Apple's servers.  So to TextMate,
my iDisk probably looks local, and looks like it supports the extended
attributes, but maybe that stuff is lost in transit through the
network iDIsk.  Either a ._something file is being skipped, or
something is causing extended attributes to be lost.

Is anyone else familiar with this kind of folding weirdness?  Can any
one think of a solution besides turning extended attributes off?  (For
example, if it is indeed that extended attributes are being lost, is
there a way to just force TextMate to always use ._something files?
Presumably, this would sync fine.)

Thanks,