[TxMt] Site Manager Window

Todd Ditchendorf itod at mac.com
Wed Jan 17 21:20:52 UTC 2007

perhaps this is an opportunity for a plugin? Does anyone have a sense
of whether a site management palette would be a highly desired
addition to TextMate? Would an attempt to make textmate compete with
apps like Dreamweaver make sense? We all know textmate's the better
text editor... if you could install a plugin to add decent site
management features...

I wonder if this is a bit of a slippery slope... WYSIWYG HTML editing
would almost certainly be desired by the web devs who would be
looking for site management features. This could be done with a TM
plugin... something akin to SandVox, perhaps using WebKit's
contentEditable features. But experience from TeXMLMate tells me it
would be a bit risky as you'd need to do quite a bit of peeking under
the OakTextView (TextMate's custom TextView)'s skirt to sync the
WYSIWYG editing changes back to the textmate main editor window. The
plugin would likely be quite brittle in the face of TM updates.

This is a reason I hope Allan will find time to add a more complete
TM Plugin api... with more hooks that will be stable in future
releases... I'm sure Allan realizes this is needed... considering
there's been so few plugins to this point, he prolly figures he has
more important priorities.

If you would be interested in these features speak up... it would be
a big job, but it might be a fun plugin project to tackle.

Todd Ditchendorf

Scandalous Software - Mac XML Developer Tools
http://scan.dalo.us