[TxMt] LaTeX bundle: Why emph instead of textit??

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at hanover.edu
Sun Jan 14 18:20:56 UTC 2007

On Jan 14, 2007, at 5:36 AM, Christian Bogen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> why does the LaTeX bundle suddenly default to \emph instead of
> \textit when I press command-i? This is a most unwelcome change as
> I often use the scrartcl-class where \emph seems to be typeset as
> underlined text instead of italic.

There was a thread about this earlier, here is one of the messages
from it:
http://comox.textdrive.com/pipermail/textmate/2006-September/013128.html
and later another thread on it:
http://comox.textdrive.com/pipermail/textmate/2006-November/014750.html

In short, it has happened a relatively long time ago, and it happened
because most of us used \emph to emphasize text, which is what one
usually associates with italics. \emph is better for that purpose
since it will show something in roman if the surrounding is italic.
Of course YMMV, but all the people I asked at the moment agreed with
this change.

> Any chance for a *different* shortcut for emph in the default LaTeX
> bundle? I don't like messing around in the default bundles myself
> for as far as I understand TM will create a "local" copy and I can
> no longer easily benefit from updates in the default bundles … :(

First of all, this will create only a local copy of this particular
command, so you will get updates to all other commands both in the
LaTeX bundle and all other bundles.
Second, what is saved is a "delta" file. This basically means that
changing the shortcut for instance will allow you to still get
updates on the command text, and vice versa. Each individual part of
the command is separate so to speak.

Now the command under question is called "Italic". If you locate it,
you will see that it has one line:

toggle_style.rb -style=emph

So any changes to the command are likely to occur in the
toggle_style.rb ruby script, and so local modifications will not
really come up at all. So all you have to do is replace "emph" with
"textit" in the above line, and it is highly unlikely that you will
miss any significant updates.

> Christian

HTH,
Haris