[TxMt] Re: Cocoa Autocomplete

Sam Halliday sam.halliday at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 13:43:35 UTC 2007

Hi,

On 11 Jan 2007, at 13:28, Hans-Joerg Bibiko wrote:
> The 'only' thing to do is to create your own dict file.

But then also merge this "master" dictionary with the user file. One
of the main reasons for me switching to TextMate over Emacs was to
get the Cocoa spell checker. I'm not overly keen on using another
word source.

By "generalising your code" I meant that you could parse the user's
additions and run grep on them, adding any hits to the list. It
should be a 2 or 3 liner.

The major drawbacks of your technique are:-

  - Static language (not dependent on keyboard layout)
  - Uses different sources than the system dictionary for non-US
  - No ranking algorithm for giving the best completion

If, however, there was a way to interface with the Cocoa "complete:",
then it would solve these problems. Perhaps there may be a way of
doing this using an AppleScript.

On a vaguely related note: how does TextMate handle code completion?
In Eclipse if I type the auto-complete on a String objcet, it will
give me a completion list of all the methods/constants available to
me. Does TextMate have anything similar for C/PHP/other?

--
Sam