[TxMt] Re: RubyOSA – a Ruby/AppleEvent Bridge

Jacob Rus jrus at hcs.harvard.edu
Mon Jan 8 07:32:30 UTC 2007

Hans-Joerg Bibiko wrote:
> has someone experiences with RubyOSA – a Ruby/AppleEvent Bridge (esp.
> whether it is faster than osascript running in BASH)?

Hmm, well it probably depends on what you're doing.  Both of them
probably have to look up an application's dictionary when they run,
because they work based on keywords rather than on the actual apple
event codes (though it's possible RubyOSA caches the translation
somewhere.  I have no idea).  But for doing string transformations,
numerical stuff, or anything more complicated, RubyOSA should be much
faster than applescript, which is dog slow when it has to be compiled as
part of the run process, as it is with osascript via bash.  But if you
compile an applescript first, and then run it via osascript, you might
end up faster than RubyOSA, because at that point, it doesn't have to do
any lookups at all, and can just send Apple Event codes straight to the
target app.

In other words, try all 3 ways, and test the speed. :)

-Jacob