[TxMt] YummyFTP AutoRoute?

Sean Schertell sean at datafly.net
Sat Jan 6 03:01:59 UTC 2007

> You still fail to give any example where e.g. Transmit is "lacking"
> anything compared to YFTP.

Well, now you're kind of forcing me into the role of evangelist ;-)

So okay, here goes...

My favorite features are:

(1) AutoRoute which when integrated using (ironically) a modified
Transmit bundle allows me to edit a file in TM, click CMD-U and
blammo, my file is uploaded to the right location on the right server
with *no* further action at all required on my part. A little
progress bar window pops up, the connection to the server is made and
the file is uploaded all in the space of a couple seconds for a
standard text file. I understand that you can do nearly the same
thing with Transmit but that it requires a little more interaction --
but I may be wrong about that. Whatever the case, this feature alone
is priceless to me -- it really removes speed bumps from my workflow.

(2) Browse both lists in sync means I don't have to arduously
traverse through directories on both local and remote hierarchies in
order to manually transfer a file. As I traverse one directory, the
other follows me (when the "browse in sync" checkbox is checked).
This is just smart. I've often wondered why my FTP client can't do
this for me. This one does.

(3) The way sites are "Bookmarked" just like Safari just feels right
to me. This is totally subjective of course, but for me personally, I
find it a more natural and intuitive method of storing sites' login
info than with other FTP clients I've used.

(4) Right-click context menu to set local and remote home folders for
the site. Quick and easy, no trip to the preferences window required.

(5) CMD-T for transfer. Select a file on the remote server and CMD-T
will download it. Or if you've selected a file on the local server
CMD-T will upload it. No dragging required.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Transmit or other clients have
similar or identical functionality that I just haven't discovered
yet. If so, that's just another reason for me to love this app.
Because after using Transmit for quite a long time, I still hadn't
come across more elegant solutions for some of these basic
operations. But YFTP was self-evident enough (for me anyway), that I
was able to start using it more effectively than Transmit right away
without spending a lot of time reading a manual or trawling the
forums, etc.

So there you have it. That's why I like it in a nutshell. For my
working style, it just feels more "cooperative" than other clients
I've used. It gets out of the way and takes some of the "manual
labor" out of getting files from my machine to a remote machine quickly.

But of course, it's totally subjective. For many people, I'm sure
Transmit or another client is a better fit. For me, YFTP is now my
third favorite app on my Mac after TM and SpamSieve.

Happy coding,
Sean

::::  DataFly.Net  ::::
Complete Web Services