Re: [TxMt] RubyOSA – a Ruby/AppleEvent Bridge

Ale Muñoz bomberstudios at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 17:13:29 UTC 2007

On 1/4/07, Ben Bleything <ben at bleything.net> wrote:

> While I do suggest you check this out, I want to point out that RubyOSA
> is actually being written by Apple, and is also insanely cool ;)

Not only it's being written by Apple, it also seems to be the
foundation for the Ruby-AppleScript bindings in Leopard[1]

I haven't used rb-appscript (downloading right now!) but some toying
with RubyOSA has made me quite happy (I ported a quite complex script
to Ruby and now it looks really nice).

Keep in mind, though, that RubyOSA is still not ready for prime time.
System events and ScriptAdditions (the cool "display dialog" part in
AppleScript) are not available yet, and this may limit what you can
do. You may look into tm_dialog as a replacement for ScriptAdditions,
but then you'd have to distribute it with your script (I'm thinking
about general-purpose script, not only TM-related stuff)

Just my .02

[1]: http://theocacao.com/document.page/373

--
Ale Muñoz