[TxMt] R bundle: Command Usage

Hans-Joerg Bibiko bibiko at eva.mpg.de
Wed Jan 3 16:02:47 UTC 2007

Hi Kevin,

On 24 Dec 2006, at 23:20, Kevin Ballard wrote:

> What is texscan? I never knew that, so I always just ignored the
> command ;)
>
> I'm not sure the command is necessary, though, as you can get help
> on each function really easily, and if you need a template for
> args, there's always Insert Command Template.

[...]

> Arguably, this shows the default S3 method args when you give it
> the root, like it shows the args for mean.default when you give it
> mean, but Insert Command Template could always be tweaked to use
> foo.default if you just give it foo (and foo.default exists).

Yes of course. 'Insert Command Template' goes hand in hand with
'Command Usage'.

My point was that 'Command Usage' could be sometimes helpful, if I
only want to know, what is the default of a variable, for instance.
I don't know who wrote this command and why did he/she use 'texscan'
to parse the R help files written in TeX.
I also don't know this function 'texscan' but I suppose that this
function gives you the text specified within the LaTeX tag \begin
{Usage}.

In order to use 'Command Usage' for everyone I rewrote it by
searching within the HTML help files without any 'foreign' functions
and I changed the behaviour of the system function 'find' to suppress
the error messages.

> Incidentally, COM=`cat` should work just as well as COM=`tail`. Any
> particular reason to use tail when you don't need the truncating
> abilities of that tool?

No, in that case you can easily write COM=`cat`.

__

My other question was who is 'responsible' for the R bundle and can
upload this changed version?
I know the bundles are more or less a collaborative work but I
believe that someone should organize these ;)

Best,

Hans