[TxMt] newbie question - configuration textmate for latex

Christoph Eyrich ceyrich at gmx.net
Mon Feb 26 10:26:27 UTC 2007

On Feb 26, 2007, at 5:39 AM, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:

> We might be able to add that in some way, again the question is: Do
> you really want the entire log file, or are you just missing some
> information in the things that the log file filter shows you atm?

i'd like to see the log file as we get it it when we start a run on
the command line. i realize that it's hardly vital but
it is nice to see which packages get loaded, at which point of the
document the machine is in a given moment etc. (the latter especially
if you are working on the final version of projects with several
hundred pages).

> We could probably alter the behavior of TM_LATEX_ERRLVL and the log
> file filter, if we can figure out what the meaningful levels of
> filtering are.

it seems to me that 'no filtering', just the entire file as written
bei latex, as an option would be nice. i just noticed that changing

	run_tex "$FILE" 2>&1 | latexErrWarnHtml.py -v
	run_tex "$FILE" 2>&1

seems to do the trick except that the window closes as soon as we are
done. could it stay open?

>>> (2) is there a way to get textmate use a dvi-previewer? (for
>>> reasons of speed, i still prefer dvi when working on my files).
>>
>> You'll again probably have to modify the typeset command (perhaps
>> just create one of your own from scratch, that meets your needs).
>> Basically you would just use the "open" command, and then if you
>> provide it with a "dvi" file it would open with whatever default
>> app handles those files in your system (or you could specify it
>> via "open -a" I  think. Which dvi-previewer did you have in mind?
>
> After some thought, we should be able to do that. We are already
> doing 10 tests or so in that script, one more wouldn't hurt. It
> would require altering the program used for compiling as well, but
> it is theoretically doable. The question is really what dvi
> previewers are there out there on the mac, and how would one call
> them on a particular file?

that's a bit of a problem :-) i had a look at tom kiffe's macdvi but
at the moment i use xdvi, that is, i got to start apple's x-server
beforehand. it looks ugly, it doesn't refresh, that is, you got to
klick its window, but it does its job. (macdvi could be started via
open -a. if the combination textmate-macdvi would be as fast as emacs-
xdvi, i wouldn't mind buying a license for macdvi).

thinking about it again i'm not quite sure if it's worth the hassle
to provide a dvi-previewer option in textmate as long as this is
asked for by a minority. as you wrote earlier, i could change the run-
command such that textmate just calls "latex" and start xdvi from the
command line letting it run next to textmate. - what bothers me at
the moment is the long time it takes to see the result of a change on
a simple one-page document. it's a second running latex from the
command line but a couple of seconds via textmate's command-r.

but perhaps this will no longer be an issue once i upgrade my
hardware and say good bye to ppc :-)

christoph eyrich