[TxMt] Re: textmate Digest, Vol 29, Issue 70

Mark Eli Kalderon eli at markelikalderon.com
Wed Feb 21 17:43:18 UTC 2007

On 21 Feb 2007, at 17:08, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:

> On Feb 21, 2007, at 10:33 AM, Lawrence Goodman wrote:
>
>> Yes, I think the problem is encoding. Textmate uses UTF8 and
>> perhaps Final Draft uses ASC II? Is there any way to work in TM in
>> ASC II or perhaps there is some way to convert the file before I
>> import it into Final Draft. Thanks.
>
> In the "save as" dialog you can select the encoding, as well as
> what to do with line endings. Then you can ask Final Draft to open
> the saved file directly, instead of using copy and paste. I don't
> know if there is any way to specify the format of the copy thing,
> that should be always utf-8 I would expect.
>
> But what I would recommend first is to see if Final Draft can be
> set to use utf8. There isn't much reason for most programs to not
> use utf8 in this day and age (hope I won't get flamed for that).
>
> Haris

I want to second Haris recommendation of using utf8. utf8 is a
superset of ASCII so you should only be having problems if you are
already using non-ASCII characters. (If the pasteboard works like
pbcopy copied text is being treated as ASCII unless the file begins
with and encapsulated postscript header or a rtf header.) Best, Mark