[TxMt] The Growing Importance of Themes

Michael Sheets mummer at whitefalls.org
Tue Feb 13 09:56:58 UTC 2007

On Feb 12, 2007, at 12:33 PM, William D. Neumann wrote:

> While this is a very good suggestion, it is certainly hindered by
> the fact that there is no comprehensive deep theme at the moment.
> E.g. the Brilliance themes are indeed well loaded with goodies, but
> they contain little in the way of coloring for OCaml constructs:
> nothing for modules, method calls, variant types, floating point
> numbers and operators, and so on -- these aren't even edge cases,
> they're core parts of the language, and I'm not sure their addition
> could be considered "tweaking".  Now, I do 90% of my coding in
> OCaml, so this is what I've noticed, but I'd guess that there are
> other less-common languages in the bundles that are similarly
> unsupported by these deep themes.

::Glances over at Brilliance Black::

It has like over 150 rules, you want to add more and make it a
template for new themes? Are you trying to scare off the
competition? ;) If we seriously recommend to people that to make a
theme they need to edit a list that long you'd never get any new themes.

Don't misunderstand me I'm not trying to belittle the work Subtle has
done, I think the time taken to make the theme work in so many
languages is commendable, but to say you need to have that huge a
theme before it can work well… that's kinda scary no?