[TxMt] The Growing Importance of Themes

subtleGradient / Thomas Aylott oblivious at subtlegradient.com
Tue Feb 13 00:22:24 UTC 2007

On Feb 12, 2007, at 3:05 PM, David Powers wrote:

> I almost think that themes (after a certain set of core elements) need
> to be specialized to be good.  Dawn is highly motivated by the fact
> that I code largely in OCaml (for instance), and it uglies up HTML
> something fierce.  Maybe the right solution is a core theme with
> overlays that are activated based on the current base scope - so you
> would have Dawn base that included an HTML, OCaml, ruby, etc overlay.
>
> -David

There's another excellent idea.
The ability to have separate themes per file or per window.
I'd like to add onto that the ability to specify a separate theme per
scope.

Then you could have one theme for html, one theme for embedded ruby,
another theme for embedded javascript and another theme for embedded
css.
Add onto that an easy way to do theme variations with core image
filters or something and you're good to go.

Then each language would look it's absolute best and still be able to
have a unified style.

thomas Aylott — subtleGradient — CrazyEgg — sixteenColors