[TxMt] scp for TM?

s.ross cwdinfo at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 21:36:25 UTC 2007

I've hit on a development methodology where when I want to modify one
file on a server quickly, I make the changes to my local copy, then
scp it to the remote machine. That saves me the overhead and security
problems of having an (S)FTP server running on my production box.
Which brings me to the question:

Is there some really easy way to build a command (or is there one
already built) that will scp a file to a server relative to its
location in a project? For example, if my DocumentRoot on the server
is /var/www/myfinewebsite and I want to modify a file like includes/
stupid_php_why_isnt_this_rails.php on my local machine, I'd like it
to scp to uname at mydomain.com:/var/www/myfinewebsite/includes.

Is this something someone else has done? Any thoughts about this
practice?

Thanks,

Steve